All ye ghosties and goblins listen up! It’s that time of year again! We’ll all be doing our best to get fat on 9lb bags of miniature candy bars. I like to think of it as a pre-holiday warm-up for the coming months of excess. Our friends at SmartCo love to help us get our Spookly on, but they’d also like us to be safe this Halloween. Have you had a chance to visit any of the new SmartCo locations? I’ve become a big fan; on Wednesday I bought three of the most beautifully perfect pumpkins. I almost grabbed a bunch because they were only 2.98 EACH!
In response to my frequent tweet-happy shopping trips SmartCo asked if I’d like to partner with them to share some great safety tips and spread the Halloween spirit with a great giveaway valued at approximately $50!! Of course, I said YOU BETCHA! Safety first, friends!
10 Tips for Keeping Children Safe this Halloween
- Keep Your Home Safe – For your own home, candles in jack-o’-lanterns should be off the ground and out of reach. Try battery-operated LED candles for a safer option.
- Keep Little Ones Close – Younger children should always go out trick-or-treating accompanied by a responsible adult and as early in the evening as possible. Consider also making sure each child has a buddy to hold hands with when crossing the street.
- Plan for the Older Ones – For older kids who are responsible enough to go out in a group by themselves and who have cell phones, adults should plan a safe route in advance so they will know where their kids will be at all times. Older kids should also be given a set curfew, asked to check in with parents throughout the night and instructed to stay on well-lit streets.
- Have the Stranger Talk – Instruct your child to never go into the home of a stranger or get into their car. Tell them what to do if a stranger should try to get them into their home or car – scream as loud as they can to draw attention and run away as fast as they can to a safe place.
- Light is Right – Have each child carry or wear something lit such as: a flashlight, headlamp, glow bracelet or necklace, and/or fasten reflective tape to costumes and bags. Also, only trick or treat at houses that are well-lit.
- Head out After a Meal – Serve your kids a filling meal before trick or treating and they won’t be as tempted to eat candy before they bring it home for you to check. You can even serve them hearty Halloween-themed snacks at home like mini pizzas decorated to look like mummies.
- Comfortable Shoes are Key – You don’t want to be carrying shoes or your child, so make sure children are wearing well-fitting, comfortable shoes like sneakers. Light-up shoes add an extra bonus on a dark Halloween night.
- Avoid Costumes that Drag on the Ground. While cute in theory, costumes that drag or have long tails can trip up little feet, get caught on bushes and be a nuisance.
- Consider Avoiding Masks and Props – If a mask or prop must be used, let children try on masks in advance to make sure they allow full visibility and breathing. Feel free to cut larger openings to maximize comfort. Only carry flexible and soft props that can’t cause injury if a kid accidentally falls.
- Dress Appropriately for the Weather – We all know that Halloween in Colorado could mean snow or 70 degrees and sunny, so plan costumes accordingly to make sure kids are comfortable. Always bring an extra layer of clothing just in case.
ENTER TO WIN!!*Because the SmartCo Foods gift card is only valid at the current Colorado locations, this contest is open only to those living in Colorado. Not sure if there is one near you? Look here.
SmartCo will send one lucky reader all they’ll need to celebrate this Halloween! Including:
A trick-or-treat bag filled with candy
Halloween party supplies
Pumpkin carving tools
$25 SmartCo Foods gift card
(all valued at approximately $50)
To Enter: Leave a comment telling me what your Halloween plans are. Do you dress up? What will your kids dress as?
Bonus Entries (leave one comment for each):
1. Subscribe to Bantering Blonde
2. Follow @banteringblonde on twitter
3. Like SmarCo Foods on Facebook and tell them I sent you!
4. Tweet this: Shop in Colorado? I just entered Halloween Giveaway ($50 Value) from @SmartCofoods & @banteringblonde http://bit.ly/9J38iN
Winner will be chosen by Random.org at NOON Oct. 27th and will receive gift in time for Halloween!
*I was not compensated for this post, all opinions are my own based on my experiences and fueled by the 5lb bag of Skittles I purchased (with my own money) at SmartCo this week. Giveaway items will be sent to winner by Linehart Publications.